What is a Thermostat?
Before we get into how to change a thermostat in a car, let’s first talk about what a thermostat is. A thermostat is a small device that regulates the flow of coolant through your engine. It’s usually located near the engine’s water pump.
Why Do You Need to Change Your Thermostat?
Over time, your car’s thermostat can wear out and become less effective. This can cause your engine to overheat or not heat up enough. If you notice your car’s temperature gauge fluctuating or your heater not working properly, it might be time to change your thermostat.
What You’ll Need
Before you start changing your thermostat, you’ll need a few things. Here’s a quick list:
- New thermostat
- New gasket
- Drain pan
How to Change a Thermostat
Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to change your thermostat. Here’s how to change a thermostat in a car:
- Make sure your engine is cool. You don’t want to start working on your car’s engine when it’s still hot.
- Locate your car’s thermostat. Consult your car’s owner manual if you’re not sure where it is.
- Drain your coolant into a pan. You’ll need to drain enough coolant so that it’s below the level of the thermostat.
- Remove the thermostat housing. This is usually held in place by two bolts.
- Remove the old thermostat and gasket.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the thermostat housing and engine block. Make sure everything is free of debris.
- Install the new gasket onto the thermostat.
- Install the new thermostat into the engine block.
- Reinstall the thermostat housing and bolts. Tighten everything down snugly, but don’t over-tighten.
- Refill your coolant to the proper level.
- Start your engine and let it run for a few minutes. Check for any leaks.
- Check your coolant level again and top off if necessary.
How often do I need to change my car’s thermostat?
It’s a good idea to change your car’s thermostat every 50,000 to 100,000 miles.
Can I drive my car without a thermostat?
No, you should not drive your car without a thermostat. Your engine needs a thermostat to regulate the flow of coolant.
How much does it cost to replace a car’s thermostat?
The cost of replacing a car’s thermostat can vary depending on the make and model of your car. It can range from $50 to $200.
Changing your car’s thermostat is a relatively easy and inexpensive task that can prevent more serious engine problems down the line. By following these simple steps, you can change your car’s thermostat yourself and keep your engine running smoothly.