Tools and Materials Required
Before we start, you will need to gather some essential tools and materials. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Utility knife
- Pry bar
- Adjustable wrench
- Screwdriver set
- Plumber’s putty
- Silicone caulk
- New bathtub
- Drain kit
- Overflow kit
Removing the Old Tub
The first step in how to replace a tub is to remove the old one. Here’s how to do it:
- Turn off the water supply and disconnect the drain and overflow.
- Remove the faucets and handles.
- Use a utility knife to cut the caulk around the edges of the tub.
- Use a pry bar and hammer to loosen and remove the tiles around the tub.
- Disconnect the drain and overflow from the tub.
- Remove the old tub.
Preparing the Area
Once you have removed the old tub, you need to prepare the area for the new one. Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean the area where the new tub will be installed.
- Check the plumbing for any leaks or damage.
- Install new drain and overflow kits if necessary.
- Apply plumber’s putty to the drain flange and install it in the drain hole.
- Apply silicone caulk around the edges of the drain and overflow.
Installing the New Tub
Now that the area is prepared, it’s time to install the new tub. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the new tub in the correct position.
- Connect the drain and overflow to the new tub.
- Adjust the feet of the tub to level it.
- Secure the tub to the wall studs using screws and a screwdriver.
- Apply silicone caulk around the edges of the tub to seal it.
Once the new tub is installed, there are a few finishing touches you need to do. Here’s what you need to do:
- Reinstall the faucets and handles.
- Install new tiles or repair the existing ones.
- Apply a final coat of silicone caulk around the edges of the tub.
- Turn on the water supply and check for any leaks.
Q: Can I replace the tub myself?
A: Yes, you can replace the tub yourself if you have some basic plumbing knowledge and the right tools.
Q: How much does it cost to replace a tub?
A: The cost of replacing a tub depends on various factors such as the size and type of tub, the materials used, and the labor cost. On average, it can cost anywhere from $500 to $5000.
Q: How long does it take to replace a tub?
A: The time it takes to replace a tub depends on various factors such as the complexity of the job, the tools and materials used, and the skill level of the person doing the job. On average, it can take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours.
Replacing a tub may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and some basic knowledge, it can be done easily. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can have a new and improved bathtub in no time. Remember to take your time, be patient, and don’t hesitate to seek professional help if needed.